The Skin Wars: 5 Korean beauty skincare habits that changed my skin for the better!

Tuesday 19 October 2021

 

Now that there is a  nation-wide curfew at 7.00pm and  I spend majority of my time working from home, the pandemic and it's lockdowns continue to provide opportunities for me to appreciate and optimize my personal time

One of areas that my online-content-curiosity-consuming-evenings has taken me down, is improving my skin care habits, in particular my face. I haven't always had  the best relationship with  my skin. After talking myself into trying just one more time at the end of 2020, I committed to dabbling in the Korean beauty/ #Kbeauty product trend for a period of six months, after which I would review and decide if it was a trend worth sticking too. 

Korean beauty skincare requires dedicated T.I.M.E out of your daily schedule. There are people who have up to  15 steps in their routine...I know...I know...I am tired just thinking about it.... but if one wants to see incredible results ...one may need to be devoted...lol!  My routine is at most five steps... that's all  I can manage for now. 

Once I was decided, I started looking for Korean beauty products in Uganda. Honestly I think Instagram was just reading my mind or stalking me online because out-of-the-blue Instagram Explore recommended  Skinfix, Aiolaug and hbeauty on my newsfeed. I tried a lot of products  for combination skin. I learnt A LOT from my premature-over-excited-skincare-product-junkie ways and now I have some wisdom to share. BIG DISCLAIMER, I am not a dermatologist or an esthetician. This is not an area one should experiment in without expert advice so enjoy reading my blog post but pretty please consult a professional before purchasing or using any new skincare products.   

 Here are the six new habits that have REALLY generated serious 
positive results for me in the last year.... 
 

1. Sunscreen every day!  Apparently no amount of  skin exfoliators and treatments will show results unless you protect your skin during the day.  I was one of those people that thought because I was black I didn't need sunscreen, I used to believe that wearing shea butter was as good as wearing sunscreen. I know better now. When I started to use these Korean products almost every video I watched stressed the importance of wearing sunscreen to help with pimple scaring and hyperpigmentation. Since buying these products is quite an investment, sunscreen became an essential part of my daily routine!  My favorite product is EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46, but I have also  used Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum 45 and Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun cream SPF50  . Watch the videos to learn more information on how best to incorporate sunscreen into your life. 


Lab Muffin Beauty Science's Sunscreens Do's and Don'ts 


Dr Alexis Stephen's Best Sunscreen For Darker Skin 


Dr. Vanita's Rattan's Mineral Vs Chemical Sunscreen For Skin of Color



2. The  miracle that is Snail Mucin! Yes I know when you think about those slimy slow gooey things that make your body curl in disgust as  you pass  them along the road on a rainy day, or accidently squash with your car wheel when you're not looking... how could they be so useful!? But the stuff that's bottled and packaged comes from snails that live in a clean area and are bred just for skin care product  production(whether it is ethically is another discussion all together).  Hands down , it is the most amazing ingredient I have used on my skin. My favorites are the Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence and the Advanced Snail 92 All in One Repair Cream. I saw results within the first week of using these products. When those occasional-monthly-period-induced-stubborn-breakouts happen, they help soothe the area and my scars are less pigmented, some marks disappear after a few weeks. One thing I am learning is the formula of the product is really important, don't just believe the hype! It's your skin, you need to take care of it and understand what you are using and how it can work for you.  Below is where you can learn more.

 

Dr Gray's Cosrx Advances Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence


Dr Vanita Rattan's COSRX K skincare Review 


Odile Monod's Snail Mucin Debunked 



3. Using a BHA product two to three times a week!  No matter how much I clean my oily skin with my cleanser it just won't get deep down into my clogged pores like a good  BHA  product can. BHA in long form is Beta Hydroxy Acid. You need to understand the difference between BHA and AHA products and you need to visit a  doctor who specializes in skin care before adding one to your routine. Different skins types use different acids, and different products have different percentage concentration strengths for different skin type treatment needs. We are talking about acids here,  and we want to never cause permanent damage on this journey. Please do ask a professional.  Skin exfoliates  help with my mini breakouts. As I wrote in a blog post I have learned to see salicylic acid  as a friend rather that a foe. My favorite product right now is Cosrx BHA Blackhead  Power Liquid.  From the videos below you can learn more about what may work best for you.  


Beauty Within's Beginners Guide to Exfoliating Acids 



Doctorly's How to Exfoliate Your Skin


                                       Dr. Vanita Rattan's How to Exfioliate Skin of Colour



4. Retinol every other day! I am from the generation that watched recorded movies and music videos on cassette tapes.  Those who know know, so my anti-aging routine was over due. It takes a while for the effects of the retinol to show. I only noticed when others started telling me how plump and glowy my skin looked. My favorite products are Cerave Resurfacing Retinol Serum and Cerave Skin Renewing Retinol Serum. When I first used them, they  irritated my skin so I had to start slowly, applying a teeny tiny amount every other day after applying my moisturizer at night. I still put it on top of my moisturizer but I use the recommended amount now. It requires time and patience but I feel it is worth it. Here's where you can find more information.


Dr Vanita Rattan's Beginner's Guide To Retinol for Skin of Colour


Dr Gray's Best Retinols  for hyperpigmentation and anti aging


The Style and Beauty Doctor's How to Use Retinol + Retinoid 101



5. Double cleansing every night!  I have combination skin. I was one of those people who struggled with keeping my face clean, no matter how many times I used my normal cleanser. There would always be some dirt or grim somewhere that would result in an uninvited pimple a few days later.  Adding an oil cleanser changed my life! All my makeup especially the lipstick, eyeliner and mascara melted and dissolved in seconds and the tenacious daily sebum and sweat just gave way without leaving my skin tender and dried out. The second cleanse just focuses on removing  the remaining guck and pores. I use the Inkey List Oats Cleansing Balm followed by the Cosrx Salicylic Acid Cleanser as part of my night time routine. My daughter will gain all this wonderful knowledge for sure, unless she has perfect skin like her late grandmother then she will need nothing! Below are more videos for you to watch and learn. 


Hyram's How to oil cleanse


Dr. Vanita Rattan's Mistakes When Double Cleansing 



Dr Gray's How to double cleanse


So those are my five....for the first time in many years I have a regular morning and night time skincare routines. Each routine consists of different products catering for different needs. Honestly taking the time to follow them is really the best self care gift I could  give my self. It is  a  REAL treat! My own-everyday-home-spa-time. If you haven't already you can still start this journey too, but once again, I repeat,  ensure you seek professional advice a long the way. 

                                   In the comments share your skincare wisdom with us too. 

Thank you for reading and too-da-loo! Till next time. 


2 comments

  1. Nice piece Twin,although I will side bar on how I didn't get this hack earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for reading Twin. I was still learning so I couldn't share...lol, happy to share all that I have learnt now

      Delete