Be Brave & Get Your Pap Smear Done Ladies!

Friday 6 December 2019





Earlier this year, I had to create some social media content around the new HPV vaccine. 

The HPV vaccine for girls aged 10 years was recently introduced 
into routine vaccination in Uganda. 
Girls/children that age should be sexually inactive 
making the vaccine more effective. 

HPV stands for  human papillomavirus.

It's an STD, a sexually transmitted disease.

 The research I had to read to create the content, caused me sleepless nights. 
We women are dying because we are afraid of talking about these things. 
We are dying because we are scared to go to our doctors and discuss THESE THINGS. 

You can be a good woman, a faithful wife/partner and still get HPV. 

So let me not waste your time with lots of details, 
you can always talk to a physician/expert to learn more.
I am only going to share what I think is important for you to know.
HPV, can lead to cervical cancer. 

According to Ministry of Health(Uganda)  we lose 12 women each year to cervical cancer.

And each year 6413 women are newly diagnosed with this type of cancer.

I have heard that even when one uses a condom during sex
they can still get infected with HPV.

And I have heard that you only need to have sex with one person to get infected, 
so even if you are faithful to your partner
if your partner strays and gets infected chances are you will too....

Why?

Because most times those infected with HPV don't show any symptoms,
in fact most women don't know they are infected until they start
showing symptoms of cancer. 

So....I am using this blog to remind us ladies
we need to get serious,
 get over our fears,
and go get that pap smear.

It's weird
It's uncomfortable.
In fact... quick tip... if you can, 
ask for a plastic speculum to be used
it's better than the metal one.... trust me. 
Also...
Sometimes the doctor is more frightened or awkward than you.
But if you are over 21 years...it needs to be done.

I went for my very first pap smear this year.
Thank God, I got the all clear. 

Cervical Cancer is treatable if it's caught early,
So get into the habit of regularly going for a pap smear as recommended by your doctor. 
 Mine told me, I only need to go for screening every three years.

For more information here are some helpful links below







Post a Comment