Dear Dad: Paul watched a #kdrama with me

Friday 9 December 2022

 











Dear Dad, 

Remember that time just after Mum died when I wasn't sleeping. 

I would stay up late into the night.

One night I was in the TV room watching Real Housewives of Atlanta. 

When I am in distress I need to watch things that are far removed from my reality.

It was 2 am.

You came and sat with me 

You asked me questions to get the gist of the story

Then we sat there till 6.00am 

We did that everyday till I started sleeping through the night again.

It was never your type of show you just wanted to sit with me.

You didn't want me to be alone.


I am distressed today.

Paul heard me screaming on the phone in an argument.

He waited for the phone call to end, then he called me downstairs.

We are watching a #Kdrama together now.

Paul never watches #kdramas.

Yet here we are.

He doesn't want me to be alone with my thoughts.

There's a time John had to come get me from a clinic.

The nurse did not want to go home alone.

Lets not forget the time I had malaria and he stayed the night in hospital with me.

There are many things you did Dad

That moment is soooo small in comparison to the kind of father you were.

Though it is one of many moments that stands out to me.

It stands out because it speaks to the value that you taught us when we were kids.

We show up when see one of us is in need.

We sit through the mental fire with them

I had started writing some posts about what a sad  and lonely place I was in today

Then this happened and I remembered that moment.

I am not alone and unloved, even if my mind sometimes likes to convince me that I am.

I have a support system.

 



Post a Comment