I am supposed to be a 'good' girl.....

Saturday 5 September 2020


A good girl


I am supposed to be a 'good girl',

You know the type.

Reads her bible.

Goes to church every Sunday.

Keeps her legs 'closed'.

Washes the dishes, pots and pans till they sparkle.

Kneeds the dough for chapatis without  breaking a sweat.

Peels matooke with speed and preciseness.

Makes sure  her home-made Mandazis are a soft bubble of sweetness when they hit the tongue.

Cook  luwombo that makes men's mouth salivate before the dish reaches the dinner table.

Have marriage and children on her list of goals.

Pray for the husband she has never met. 

In the presence of elders only speak when spoken too,

never..almost never react to their misogynistic views with a tone.

You know that tone.

I am supposed to sit pretty,

learn how to kneel and greet with a submissive-friendly grace.

I must not take my career too seriously that it repels potential suitors. 

I must wait to be chosen,

and never wear blue nail polish 

because Maama Omuto says only prostitutes wear that colour.


Photo Credit: Unsplash 








Post a Comment