Being an Aunty & Ijeomi Umebinyuo's poetry...

Sunday 24 April 2022

 




Last year (2021) on my birthday,
I woke up at 7.30 am on Saturday to carry out Aunty duties.
I drove for 45 minutes  across town to my brother's house.
He had to take the newest female member of our family for routine immunization.

"So many women
so many women
whose blood I carry
so many glorious lives
living inside of me."~ Ijeomi Umebinyuo


Questions for Ada is a must read. 
It speaks of, about and for our Grandmothers,
our mothers,
our Aunties,
our sisters,
our female friends
our female cousins,
our daughters,
and our granddaughters.


My mother, my mother's friend's and my maternal and paternal aunties, 
all played a part in my upbringing.
I must continue the tradition and be 
available for my nieces (and my nephews too!)
So I woke early and drove across town on my birthday,
because my niece who was barely a year into this world
needed to know that she was worth it and so much more!

"I am walking her into sunshine
gathering her beauty
please visit another day."~ Ijeomi Umebinyuo


I have had strong women around me all my life. 
They taught me how to be, 
they often remind  me who I am.
They told me tales of where I am from,
not just through words but through their actions. 

"I want to write about the women that prayed for me
in a language so beautiful English would bow" ~ Ijeomi Umebinyuo

I am immensely grateful to have the opportunity to be an Aunty. 
To play with them,
To cuddle with them,
To cook for them,
To laugh with them,
To calm their nerves,
To reassure them that no matter what they are loved and accepted.  
My mother is no longer on this earth.
By me carrying out these actions with her grand children 
I feel like I give them a little piece of her to keep alive each time.

"you are here. you are becoming
isn't that enough?"~ Ijeomi Umebinyuo

Please go buy Ijeomi's wonderful book here or at your local book store 

Post a Comment