Fitness Update #3: Burn-out Cures & Home Workouts during the COVID-19 Lockdown

Thursday 21 May 2020




I have accidentally discovered how to recover from burnout 
while on lockdown during this COVID-19 pandemic.
 
I did not know that one needs to recover from burnout.... did you know?
Apparently one does. 
 
I thought if  I took a few weeks or a couple days off and rested, 
then that would be enough to recover.
I thought burn out was all about being tired. 
I was wrong. 
 
 I have been walking around tired, 
but also possibly dehydrated and  probably nutrient deficient too. 
I have been trudging through life wondering, 
"Why the daily constant struggle to get out of bed?"
I would wake up feeling like I hadn't slept,
And go to bed feeling like I'd ran a marathon.
Coffee was no longer working...

I took five days off at Christmas time, 
but still the same lack of energy and motivation persisted.
There was a week where every day someone kept telling me how tired I looked.
I went into panic mode, ready to go to the clinic to get all kinds of tests done.
 "I must be dying..."
 I was just soooooo exhausted.
You see...I am still dealing with the trauma 
of watching my late Dad's renal system fail,
and now coming to terms with the fact that I could not stop it.

My boss tells me I need to take a break. 
She says I must take time off.
She has confirmed I look drained.
My panic doubles,
So I complain to Bae,

Me: I am tired all the time, that's not normal,
 might go in for a check up.

Bae: You might be dehydrated, 
try eating some cucumber every day,
My mum used to tell us to do that. 

Me: I hate cucumber!

Bae: Just try it. 

So I try it. 
I add one to my daily diet.
It works!
 But I hate eating fruits and veggies
Why? Because of childhood.... 
Childhood and the privilege of being able 
to dislike food that is healthy. 

I take three weeks off as my boss advises.
Meanwhile pandemonium is enshewing outside

Kenya has just announced it's first,
 a lady of Indian decent returned from America.
Entebbe airport is still open.
The pandemic is slowly creeping up on us. 
You can feel the paranoia growing in Kampala.
I saw a man in the pharmacy with matching pastel blue mask and gloves.
He was buying malaria medicine.
 I decide to stay home,
Only going out to buy essentials or to meet friends.  
I planned to be a blanket blob catching up on my series during my leave anyway..
COVID -19 has made it possible.

So days into the partial lockdown,
 I am chugging down the cucumbers and noticing a difference,
but I still don't like them
Do you recall the snozzcumbers from the BFG book?
 Then I remember my bestie gave me a  juicer.
So one day I juice a whole cucumber and add lemon.
Not to bad... drinking makes it go down quicker....
And each day I add something to make the juice bearable
And  Boom!!!
My energy and motivation return...
I wake up happy to wake up.
I have a joyous light skip in my step.
Two weeks later, I 'return' to work excited and ready. 
I am working from home with a healthy juicing buzz, 
while the country is now in full lockdown.
And it dawns on me burnout is very very REAL
and its not just about sleep & rest.
I need to eat healthy too.
Duuuuh...

Anyway my fave juicing recipe includes these....

ginger

lemon

carrots

cucumber

apples

Also since, no private cars are allowed on the road,
 I have been walking more on the weekend,
and working out from home during the week.

Here are some of my  favorite home workouts from You Tube. 

Low Impact Cardio

Standing Cardio Workout

Ballet Body Sculpt 

Full Body Barre Workout

Thanks for dropping by!
Comment below with your fave workouts or juicing recipes. 

All photo credits: Unsplash


2 comments

  1. Wow, will definitely be adding cucumbers to my smoothies now. I'm currently downing a two ingredient smoothie - carrot and banana.

    Most importantly I've finally put a finger as to why I'm always tired... BURNOUT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! let me now how it works out for you.

      Delete