Random Early Morning Thoughts - Karamoja, Uganda

Wednesday 4 July 2018

just imagine....we need this feature film to happen.


Day 1


4.00 am: It's dark everywhere, which means power (electricity) has gone.
In Uganda electricity can 'leave' and not tell us when it will return.
6.00 am: Must drink my small bottle of water.
Why?
Because access to toilets during the day is limited.
I need my body to hydrate and cleanse itself before we hit the road for work.
So glug glug glug... 
6.30 am: Who is that confused man loudly conversating across the hotel courtyard ?
And who is that woman replying in high pitched excitement?
Why are they so pleased with themselves so early in the morning?
She must be cleaning I can hear the splash of the rag cloth disturbing the bucket of water. 
I can hear the effort in her voice as she scrubs. 
Don't they know some of us enjoy quiet starts to the day, 
beneath the blanket warmth of our beds?
7.00 am: I really don't want to shower with cold water.











Day 2

6.00 am: Lately waking up for me has been a first world problem.
My mind is ready, my body isn't.
It's sluggish and slow.
I hear my  mind sing to my body every morning,
"Time to get up!"
And I hear my body grumpily reply,
"What's the point?"
7.00 am: cold shower again...
8.00 am: Once I have got through my morning routine,
 sat down for hot fresh katogo, 
I am actually fine.
I am surprisingly eager to begin today's activities.






Day 3

5.oo am: If I really want to know how  I feel about something,
I ponder on it first thing, ahead of the the crack of dawn.
Before that first light slips past the wonky slit in the hotel curtains
those virgin thoughts,
those untainted feelings,
those are the authentic ones.
I listen to those.
7.00 am:  Really really don't want to shower with cold water







hospital solar water pump

little girl standing by a hut


classroom made of mud


district office corridor


Day 4

4.30 am: I have discovered the best prayers are the one's said in the morning.
Before the cockerel crows
Before my first yawn,
Before my first stretch,
Before I rub the tiny sticky fairy dust off my eyes, 
I begin my conversation with God.
6.30 am: On my knees, head bowed low, I continue with prayer.
7.00 am: Really really really don't want to shower with cold water.



Tokora sign




People plowing

People plowing

Hospital Corridor

"What seem our worst prayers may really be, in God's eyes, our best.
Those, I mean, which are least supported by devotional feeling.
For these may come from a deeper level than feeling.
God sometimes seems to speak to us most intimately when he catches us…off our guard."
CSLewis



*The minions are the result of discovering Facebook stories
(btw find me on twitter @mariajulietrose ðŸ˜€)

Post a Comment