Books!

Tuesday 29 March 2022

 



Did you know a whole person can disappear into a book?

 For hours if  you do it properly.

 Undisturbed and uninterrupted. 

Open the book, flip the page and start to read, before long you find your self in a world with no recollection of when you stepped through the door or how you'll find your way back again.


I learnt this when I was little girl. My love for books grew from my parents reading me bedtime stories before I learnt how to read. It's the longest affair I have ever had. My Father loved to read Three Billy Goats Gruff with a booming animated voice for the troll. 


"WHO IS TRIP TRAPPING ALL OVER MY BRIGDE?"

(If you know, you know)


All the schools I attended  up to 13 years of age, had the best libraries, magical colourful places with endless shelves of books for all reading ages and tastes, bean bags and kind helpful librarians. 


I remember the first book I couldn't stop reading was Matilda by Roald Dahl. I hid it in my French exercise book during the primary school lesson and I think the smirk on my face gave me away. I got in trouble, but it was light trouble...How can one be mad at a child obsessed with reading?


I enjoyed bringing books home to read to my mother in the evenings as she knitted scarves, hats , baby sweaters and booties. 

 

My handwritten membership card filled up quickly because I reveled in the compulsory one hour a week reading time in the library. 


I was a Red House Book Club member! I got to order new books every year from their catalogue. I don't think they exist anymore...if they do correct me in the comment section

Remembering and blogging about these memories brings me so much pleasure.


Some of my favourite books included:

Goodnight Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian

The Twits by Roald Daul

The BFG by Roald Daul

The Lorax by Dr Seuss

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone- J.K Rowling

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets -J.K Rowling 

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery 

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Charlotte's Web by E.B White 


I hope part of my legacy will be the books I leave behind... a private library maybe? 



What about you?

When did your love affair begin? 

What are you fondest memories? 

2 comments

  1. This reminds me of your every growing physical library of books. Timeless pieces you are collecting Maria and what a wonderful inheritance they will be to someone one day.I tried reading Tom Sharp when I was around 7 maybe...didn't get the humor but was intrigued by the naughty cover art. But I got into my fathers Wilbur Smith collection in my mid-teens and read all of them cover to cover. The Sunbird was an amazing read its crossing timelines in Stone city Zimbabwe and love story between a hunchback archaeologist and his assistant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you for sharing Roma. That love story sounds interesting lol. I may need to find that book.

      Delete