Dear Dad : We won't break...

Tuesday 1 October 2019




Dear Dad, 

I was waiting for it to happen. 

When they took my keys and drove us  home from the hospital,

When we had the meeting around the table with Uncle Kizza, Andrew and Uncle Tony 
to discuss the funeral arrangements, 

When we picked out the coffin at Uganda Funeral Home the next morning, 

Or in the afternoon, after we took your dark navy suit to
A++ funeral mortuary at Mengo Hospital,

I was waiting..

Amongst  the blurriness of my tears, despite what everyone thought,
  I  was alert & waiting. 



When we finally arrived in the village the evening before the burial,

When I sat by you in your open coffin at 9 pm in Jajja's sitting room, 

 Even, the next day, when everyone was gone 
 and John, Paul and  I watched them smooth the concrete over your grave,

I stood by our Jajjas' and Sengas' resting place waiting,

I  remember that conversation we had in the hospital.

The many conversations we had at home.

You were always a master at reading & handling human beings. 

We knew that.
Your children  always knew it.



 We know how to live. 

We  have more than what Malcolm Gladwell calls 10,000 hours of practice.

How many hours is it... if you've  been practicing since childhood?


Anyways.... Stay well Dad
More updates for when i next write again...


photo credit: Unsplash

2 comments

  1. Sending you strength and healing. Great remembrance and above all perseverance! You will make it! - Rosebell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosebell. Appreciate the kind words. And yes we will.

      Delete