My Favorite You Tube Videos of 2018 - Watch & Be Inspired...

Monday 17 December 2018



In this day and age when we struggle to concentrate for long periods of time,
because so much online content is trying to catch our attention ,
whether it is useful or  useless
or purposeful or purpose-less;
I have decided to do my duty as a millennial and share videos,
I enjoyed watching on You Tube this year

So load some data,
and get watching,
Hopefully you'll enjoy them.
😁😁😁😁😁



Video Essayists 

At the end of last year I discovered video essayists on You Tube, by coming across Nerdwriter1.
These are a thoughtful and articulate crowd of You Tubers, who have helped me learn so much about topics I never would have thought to discover on my own. Some evenings and weekends you can find me glued to my phone screen for 30 minutes at a time just watching these types of videos

For example how Walt Disney and team re-wrote Mary Poppins for the big screen was  an eye opener. Is it fair for them to' 'sprinkle' our problematic past as humans with 'fairy dust'?

We all still listen to the The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, so a video essay about how her music has stood the test of time is a must watch.

And...like who isn't a Toy Story Fan? But did you know they almost lost  the whole of movie number 2?

So instead of sitting down to a cozy night by the TV, get your computer/phone out instead and have a cozy night on You Tube with Lindsay Ellis, Nerdwriter or Austin Mcconnell.

The Revisionist World of Disney- Lindsay Mills 



Lauryn Hill: 20 years of Relevance - Nerdwriter1




Remember When Pixar Accidentally deleted Toy Story 2 - Austin Mcconnell





Podcast/ Great Discussions 

I always stumble on these podcasts.
There are none I follow religiously.
However when I do find a good one, the discussion is so addictive that,
I re-watch and re-watch because I learn a lot unexpectedly.

Elon Musk talking about the perils of artificial intelligence with Joe Rogan ,
 is the scariest  thing I have ever listened too, worse than a sci-fi movie!
On a lighter note Ashley Graham's interview with Noor Tagouri left me so inspired,
 I just wanted to go out and achieve all my dreams in record time lol!

Sharon Mundia making a video with Dr Karen,  seemed a brave thing for her to share.
Some of us are still learning  that we need to take care of our mental health, in the same way we do for our physical self. Society's judgement is still a major deterrent for people seeking help.  I have enjoyed their discussions and hope she keeps sharing such content on her You Tube channel. 

Then there is Carol Mutoko talking about the boy issues... it is controversial, but hey... these are the types of conversations that  make me stop scrolling on You Tube

Slate's discussion with Mona Eltahawy, got me wondering... how are we, as believers,  ensuring that our holy spaces remain sacred and safe for everyone?

So once again make yourself some tea/coffee, get comfortable and get listening!


Joe Rogan- Elon Musk  on Artificial Intelligence


Pretty Big Deal with Ashley Graham - Noor Tagouri




Trolls, Perfection and the Pressures of keeping Up with Social Media - This is Ess


The Boy Issues- Calling Out The Man Early -Caroline Mutoko


Why the #MeToo Movement is especially distressing for Muslim Women





Docu-Series Style Videos

The Discovery & the National Geographic Channels on DSTV  have failed to be a source of enjoyment, learning and discovery for me anymore.

They used be my go-too for documentaries.
My father would make my siblings and I sit down to watch at least one, once a week.

You Tube has become that place for me.

So in my choices for you below..

Learn  about the children that disappeared in Irish orphanages
owned by the Catholic Church decades ago...

Or about the big-lizard-like things that once roamed the earth....

Or even about how the beauty industry is using unsafe ingredients...



How the Catholic Church Hid Away Hundreds of Irish Children -The New York Times



When Giant Amphibians Reigned- PBS Eons.


The Naked Truth Behind Beauty 2018 - Bri Hall





#CreatorsForChange 

This is a global initiative that supports creators tackling social issues and raising awareness.
I have been surprised and educated by this content.
Watched channels that I never would  have gravitated towards, and that You Tube would not have put in my 'recommended for you' section.

Also so many of them are young (25 years old  &below), with such powerful messages.  I am always left wondering what effort I am making to create positive change in the world, or even just in my small digital community. 

The following are recommended for your personal consumption...

YouTube Creators For Change Contagious- Episode 1



#findingnenek - The Girl in the Batik Dress- Beni





The Importance of Creativity

Because we ALL need to be creative every now and then....

 In order for that to happen I sometimes watch other people's content.
Then fueled by their mastery, I get cracking on my new project.

I just love KickThePJ's imagination and creativity. 
To me he is so fresh and so unique!.

Hallease makes me want to film my shots meticulously, and edit them well.
One day I want to tell my stories with her kind of finesse! #ChaoticGood

And this video by Mutua Mutheka, well I just need to try
new storytelling techniques.... but how? 



PJ and the Bunchow - PJtheKick




This is uncomfortable - Hallease



Why Do I SHOOT?- Mutua Mutheka








Because We ALL need to LOL sometimes!

Sometimes it's been a long day, I need to laugh my problems away.

Evelyn From The Internets' VEDA videos from 2014, 2015 and 2016 always have me rolling.

I also discovered Elle Mills this year (another one with seeeeeeeerious film-making finesse)


Blue Ivy's Edges Are More Valuable Than You- Evelyn from the Internets


My First 4th of July - Elle Mills 




About Living Healthy Lifestyles & how you should do that...

It has become important for us to search for ways to improve our lifestyles

I watched many videos this year, but Matt D'Avella and Wheezy Waiter are my current favs.  


I Quit Social Media for  30 days -Matt D'Avella



Why do People Exercise - Wheezy Waiter




Special Mention Goes To... 

If I put all the videos I enjoyed in this post, it would be two weeks long.

So I decided to add a special mention part. 

For Leena Norms who put new books on my radar...

Beauty News  for intriguing videos on make up...


Furry Little Peach for making me want to sketch in a museum and make  home made wrapping paper...

And Joel Jemba for  his vlog with a phone, it caught my attention cause I attended a training this year on digital storytelling. 


Is Your Dream Career too Competitive - Leena Norms


Beauty News!







Sketching at the Museum -Furry Little Peach


Showing You Around Ggaba Kampala - Joel  Jemba



So that's all folks!
Hope you enjoyed, and comment below with any of your
 recommendations. I would love to discover new channels. 

(Btw find me on Twitter @mariajulietrose 😀)

Post a Comment